Saturday, September 22, 2012

Hrulvir


In a previous post, I indicated that the sandbox setting for my game is loosely based upon Michael Moorcock's Young Kingdoms, as it is presented in the wonderful Elric! rulebook.  As the campaign progresses, I am using the Young Kingdoms as a point of departure.  I have begun to slowly change the names of some of places, and I have insert
ed my own city, which will serve as a base of operations for the PCs.

Hrulvir, the city, is more akin to Lankhmar than any of the cities portrayed in the Elric saga.  That is to say, it is large, baroque, seedy, and corrupt.  I would be remiss if I didn't make mention of the fact that I am using the great Vornheim book to help me maintain the appearance of large, bustling metropolis.  I have no idea how many people live in the city, how it's run, or who the key players are. 

I do know, however, that the city of Hrulvir's patron deity is Groan, the god of groaning gates, walls, protection, death, you name it.  He is typically portrayed as a raven or a stooped old man. Once per year, apathetic priests dress in raven costumes and process through the streets.  Their parishioners inscribe their sins onto bits of parchment and place them in sacks carried by the priests.  The priests then empty the sacks onto a large pyre built upon a blighted patch of field in the center of the city.  

The city watch is an imposing faction that roves through the city's neighborhoods attired in black, feathery scale armor and raven masks with bright red eyes.  They are ruthless and not above accepting bribes.

Most of what I know about this setting has emerged through play.  I don't have an extensive list of factions, NPCS, or plots.  I will add to this as the city and its denizens develop over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment